PACTE Project :
Promoting Active Cities Throughout Europe
Objectives and missions
Acting as a direct follow-up to the PASS project, PACTE seeks to take a further step towards increasing active cities across the continent. The PASS findings and further research brought to light the far-reaching effects and burdensome costs of physical inactivity on Europeans, but it also defined the ever-growing importance urban environments have to play. Indeed, over three quarters of local decision-makers are unaware of the levels and consequences of inactivity, which becomes an increasing issue as over 70% of the European population lives in cities and urban areas today. To top it off, local policies have a more direct impact on citizens than national or European ones do.
While physical activity experts have virtually omitted to investigate the status quo of physical activity on a local level, PACTE is unfolding itself in a timely manner.
PACTE aims to focus on the physical activity in Europe, at a municipal level. The three core objectives to do so are:
- a European-wide representative survey of municipalities’ physical activity policies and practices; Results
- to create an evidenced-based matrix for change for Active Cities, offering tailored solutions for continuous change;
- and to develop and deliver a communication campaign aimed at European municipalities, and promoting physical activity promotion.
The project is led by Sport and Citizenship (France) and is further composed of 8 additional partners that are:
- The association for international sport for all– TAFISA (Germany)
- The International council for sport science and physical education– ICSSPE (Germany)
- The European physical education association– EUPEA (Switzerland)
- The European Federation of company Sport– EFCS (France)
- The national association of Italian municipalities– ANCI (Italy)
- The European cyclists federation– ECF (Belgium)
- The City of Turku (Finland)
- The City of Liverpool (UK)
The project will run for 36 months, and started in January 2018 with the Kick off meeting hosted in the House of Sport, Brussels (Belgium).
Infos and ressources
- Questionnaire: How active is your city ?
- Website : http://www.pacteproject.com
- Twitter : @PacteProject
PACTE final event will be held on Thursday 26 November afternoon.Read more