Grassroots Sports Diplomacy project
The strong extent of grassroots sports across various European societies puts forth the strength and stronghold of EU values and civic dedication amongst European citizens. By promoting grassroots sports internationally, their importance on national political agendas is enhanced to increased. In addition, the soft power of grassroots sports diplomacy is continuously gaining implementation, as National governments search for new ways to foster international relations across the globe. In return, international relations can serve grassroots sports by learning from other best practices and trends that they can them apply.
These are the foundations to the Grassroots Sports Diplomacy project, as it seeks to develop the required baseline for a qualified and systematic role of grassroots sports in international relations.
The project is led by the International Sport and Culture Association- ISCA (Denmark) and is further composed of 9 additional partners that are:
- Sport and Citizenship (France)
- the Portuguese Institute for Sport and Youth– IPDJ (Portugal)
- the European Observatory for Sport and Employment– EOSE (France)
- the French Institute for International & Strategic Studies – IRIS (France)
- National Olympic Committee and Sport Federation (Denmark)
- Unio Barcelonina d’Associacions Esportives- Ubae (Spain)
- Unione Italiana Sport per Tutti – UISP (Italy)
- Social service of Commerce– SESC (Brazil)
- Hungarian National School, University & Leisure Sport Federation (Hungary)
The project will run for 24 months, and will start in January 2018 with the Kick off meeting in Copenhagen (Denmark).
Sport and Citizenship’s role throughout this project consists primarily in establishing national and European trends and potential strategies regarding grassroots sport diplomacy, but the think tank will also participate in organising a high profile conference during the Finnish Presidency of the EU, to gather stakeholders from all levels and lay the funding stones for future collaborations.